Thursday, September 25, 2008

Triathlon #4

So my 4th triathlon has come and gone. Several of you asked how it went, so here it goes....it was fantastic! Loved it!! It was Sept 21st here in town. The swim was longer than normal, 500m and 10 mile bike ride followed by a 3.1 mile (5K) run.  My total time was 1 hour 10 min and 39 seconds. I was most proud of my run, I accomplished it in 24 min and 19 seconds; a pace of 7 min 48 sec!! That is my personal best! Never did I think I could run under 8 min, let alone after two other events! The swim was mentally challenging and got the best of me. I went to check out the pool before the race and it just seemed ENORMOUS and so many lanes, UP and BACK!! It was actually only 10 lanes in a 50 m pool but it just played mind games with me. I was lined up with a lot of men according to my number and that made me nervous as I looked around and thought, "They got to be better swimmers than me!" So I moved back a bit and raced right behind my friend, Bruce. 
Bruce and I had a bet going giving me 3 min and 45 seconds of a time spread (since I am a GIRL). Well, that proved to be inspiring for me. I got out of the pool right behind him just like we started and I left the transition area before him. Feeling confident that I had a little head start on him.  I knew he was much stronger of a cyclist than I was and sure enough about a mile into it, he came whizzing past me. I think that got to me and I tried my best to just keep going and do all I could. When I came into the transition area to prepare for the run, I saw him about a min ahead of me! Yes!!! I knew at that point it wouldn't be too impossible to keep my spread. So after a quick change of shoes and grabbing my ball cap, I took off running. I felt great, no cramps and legs actually moving fine this time. Usually they feel like jello right after the bike.  I pushed and pushed and about half a mile before the finish line I could see him!! Wooohooo! So I pushed even harder thinking there was some hope to maybe even catch up with him....well, NO but I got close!! Only 9 seconds behind!!! He wasn't too happy, but I was elated!! I was told for the next race I get no SPREAD at all! Truth be told he hadn't been training and I had been. However, the best surprise of the day was that I came in first place for my age division which I believe is 35-39.  That was cool, I got a medal and a bike pump! Yes!! 
 My next big challenge is going to be running a half marathon in May. It is the Indianapolis Mini Marathon and you get to run around the race track. It is a HUGE event with bands and thousands and thousands of people! I think close to 30, 000 people.  But don't quote me on that and don't plan on me placing either. =) Surviving a run that lasts over 2 hours will be an accomplishment in itself.  The bad part is training over the winter. These last few months have been perfect for outdoor training and you won't catch me running in below 30 degree weather or on a treadmill for more than an hour. So we will see how training goes this winter. 
Travis still dreams and talks big about doing a very long bike ride in the summer across Iowa, (Ragbri?). It is a 7 or 8 day event. Hopefully, he will be done with his last class and can start exercising again. I know it is killing him that I have the time and he doesn't.  So if anyone is interested, start saving and riding.  We are going to rent a motorhome and do it up big! Sitter at home for the kids too! 
Knew exercising could be fun, but it just gets better and better! I am loving it! Taking new classes at the YMCA, the latest, Dance Fusion. I have been teaching/subbing a bit more too.  Keeping healthy and strong does wonders for the soul! Start small! 

No comments: